Livingston Co

New York

return to NHS Main Page

return to the History Room


Nunda Area Obituaries

 Here are obituaries from a variety of sources for people who once lived in the Nunda and Portage Area. If you would like to submit an obituary please sent it to Tom Cook. Be sure to include the source.The obituaries are listed in alphabetical order. We will continually add to them, so check back often!

Baker, Elmina A. Holden
Bellinger, Daniel Lawrence Jr.
Bellinger, Phoebe Ann Baker

Bellinger, Rosebel
Brick, William
Daggett, Grace L
Estep, Frank M.

FitzGerald, Bridget
FitzGerald, Edward B
Ford, Katherine
Henry, Thomas

Jackson, Mary Weidwright
Mitchell, Mina
Annette Baker 
Paine, Harriet Lowell
Rickets, Samuel
Sonnleitner, Elfreda Curtis
Somers, William
Spencer, Huldah Robinson
Spencer, Marian Emerson

Spencer, William Eugene
Stilson, Lyman


Baker, Elmina A. Holden (Probably from the Nunda News: )

"Aug. 31, 1901. "The remains of Mrs. Elmina Baker, who died last week at the home of her daughter, a physician, Mrs. C.D.Mitchell at Chattanooga, Tenn., arrived in Nunda Sunday night and were taken to R.S.Cree's Sons undertaking rooms where they remained until Mon. at 11:30 A.M.when they were interred in Oakwood cemetery. The deceased was the mother of the late Mrs. P.A.Bellinger of this village. Among those here from out of town to attend the burial service were Dr. Mitchell of Chattanooga, Tenn., Mrs. Wilson, Miss Wilson and Mrs. Conant of Rochester. Mrs. Baker was a grandmother of Mr. D. Lawrence Bellinger of this village, who is now at Cornell University."

submitted by NHH

return to top

Bellinger Daniel Lawrence, Sr. (The Dalton Enterprise, Oct. 2, 1896, p.2)

"Death of D.L.Bellinger Sr. Daniel Lawrence Bellinger, one of the senior pioneers of this vicinity, died at his home on the Creek road near this village on the morning of September 29, aged 83 years 9 months and 20 days, of paralysis.

This venerable man, one of the very oldest men in this village passed away after an illness of something less than two days. A severe shock of paralysis prostrated him and he became at once unconscious. By the use of the telephone his son called Dr. J.P.Brown who arrived within ten minutes. It was a second shock, the first one having been comparatively light.

It is something of a surprise to our citizens to find that Mr. Bellinger had been for several years an octogenarian, to all appearance he did not seem much over seventy. It is said that until his sickness he had always been able to do the chores before breakfast, as retired farmers are apt to while in health.

Mr. Bellinger must have been one of the first whilte children born in this vicinity. Though born in the town of Nunda it was in that part of the town now known as the town of Genesee Falls, Wyoming county. (There follows a discussion of other elderly people born locally, all younger than DLB, Sr.) For twenty years Mr. Bellinger has resided in this town.

Mr. Bellinger was twice married and leaves a widow, a daughter Mrs. A.B.Daley of Bliss and a son D. Lawrence Bellinger.

The funeral services were held at the home of the family and were conducted by their pastor the Rev. J.M.Carmichael, on Thursday at 2 p.m.

His calm and quiet life, as calmly ended and with the venerable poet: "And I am glad that he had lived thus long And glad that he had gone to his reward Nor deem that kindly nature did him wrong Soft to disengage the vital chord."

submitted by NHH

return to top

Bellinger, Phoebe Ann Baker (Nunda News, Sept. 22, 1900)

"Mrs. B.[sic] A. Bellinger, a well-known resident, died at her home on the Creek road, Thursday morning, after a lingering illness of Brights disease, aged 54 years. One son Mr. D.L.Bellinger survives. The funeral will take place from her late home Saturday at 1:00 p.m. Rev. J.H.Williams officiating.”

submitted by NHH

return to top

Bellinger, Rosabel (Nunda News, May 9, 1885)

"The only daughter of Mr. & Mrs. D.L.Bellinger died very suddenly last Saturday, after an illness of only twelve hours. She was taken sick at 3 A.M. and died at 3 P.M. It was a strange case, and so regarded by the physicians. She went to bed in apparent good health but woke feeling ill and was taken with vomiting. She was nearly pulseless when Dr. Sabin saw her at 8 A.M. Dr. Alley saw her about 2 P.M. and regards it a remarkable case. She suffered but very little pain but was uneasy and constantly changing her position. She was an unusually bright and intelligent girl, and at school was a forward scholar. Her age was about nine years. The sudden death of their only daughter Rose, is a severe affliction for her parents who have the heartfelt sympathy of all their friends and neighbors."

submitted by NHH


 Brick, William (Nunda News August 18, 1895)

Fatal Accident - Wm. Brick of Nunda, Killed with Five Others. A horrible accident occurred at McKees Mills, Pa. last Friday afternoon in which six men were killed and five fatally injured. William Brick, a former Nunda Boy, was found to be among the six which were killed. The accident occured in a railroad cut 60 feet deep where they were blastin. When the blast went off the explorian caused fire damp and gas to arise from an old mine which caused the accident. Mr. Brick's body was brought here for burial on Monday afternoon. The funeral was help from the house at 5:00 p.m., Rev J.M. Carmichael officiating. Neptune H & L Co, of which he was an honorary member, turned out as an escort to the funeral.

He leaves an aged mother, a bereaved wife, to whom he had been married two years Thursday, and two brothers with two sisters to mourn his loss.

His wife was here with his mother when the terrible news was delivered to them in a message and their grief was heart rending. William had always been kind to his mother and she feels his loss deeply. The sympathy of the whole community is with them in their severe affliction.

return to top


 Daggett, Grace L (Nunda News, undated clipping, probably 1901)

Miss Grace I Daggett, only daughter of Mrs. Theodora Daggett, died at the family home in Massachusetts street, shortly before eleven o'clock Tuesday morning. The immediate cause of death was a nervous shock, brought on by a slight hemmorrhage of the throat.

The circumstances of Miss Daggett's death are inexpressibly sad. The only comfort of a widowed mother, the sad news created a profound sensation throughout the entire village and expressions of personal grief and sincere sympathy for the bereaved were universal. At first the report was discredited, as it was not supposed that Miss Daggett's case was vitally serious. It was known that she had been very sick for the past two weeks, but even the immediate members of the family or her most intimate friends did not anticipate her demise.

Early last summer Grave was sent to the Adirondack Mountains, suffering with throat trouble. She remained there for several months, arriving home in the fall. Her health became impaired after a brief visit at home and she left almost immediately for Colorado Springs, at which resort she passed the winter returning to her home this spring much improved in every way. She remained in apparently good health until two weeks before her death, when she was obliged to remain in bed. Slight hemorrages, at intervals, caused her much alarm and for several days previous to her death she was in a highly nervous condition.

Dr. C.J Carrick, who had been attending Miss Daggett during her illness, was called early Tuesday morning, and after prescribing left the house, only to be recalled shortly after ten o'clock. Upon his arrival he found his patient in a sinking condition from which she never rallied, passing peacefully away without recognizing those so endeared to her, gathered around the death bed.

A bright light went out when the soul of Grace I Daggett ascended to her makrer. But twenty-three years of age, she was a young lady of bright mental attainments and cheery disposition to which was added a charm of manner and the faculty of making and keeping friends. Her death leaves a vacancy in many hearts which no one else can fill.

The deceased was born in Nunda May 10th, 1878. Her father, the late George W Daggett, ex-District Attorney of this county, died on the 11th of January , 1895, and her only brother, Clarence, died in the 2nd of May, 1896, at the early age of twenty-one years.

Miss Daggett was the fiancee of Mr. Fred Olp of this village and their wedding was to have taken place on Thursday, the 29th of this month. All arrangements had been completed and never was a prospective bride more happy in preparing for the momentous occasion. The beautiful gown which was to have been her bridal robe was in readiness, but tender hands have laid her to rest in its satin folds, and in that family circle where she reigned supreme, no tongue or pen can half express their grief.

The many friends of the bereaved mother are pained and their hearts overshadowed by her terrible misfortune and would that it were in their power to help her bear this heavy sorrow, which has come upon her so unexpectedly. To Mr. Old the hearts of the community go out in tenderest sympathy.

The funeral service will be held at the house this (Friday) afternoon at two 'clock. Rev Henry S Dennis, rector of Grace Episcopal church, and Rev. Clara E Morgan, pastor of the Universalist church will officiate. The music will be under the direction of Mr. Joseph Lovell. The burial will be private, and at the convenience of the family.

return to top

 Estep, Frank M.

Frank Mark Estep,
69, of Harrisburg, formerly of Elizabethtown PA and Nunda, NY died Wednesday, July 6, 2005 at home. He was born in Altoona PA September 1, 1935 to Kenneth and Anna Turnbaugh Estep.

He is survived by his wife of 48 years, Vaughn Dunham Estep; daughter Robyn (Steve) Burlew of Harrisburg; son Mark (Cindy) Estep of Jefferson, MD; five granddaughters, Emily, Erin, Alyssa, Oilivia and Hannah; two brothers , Rev. Kenneth (Barbara) of Elizabethtown, PA and Rev. Jack (Dottie) of Castle Pines, Co; two sisters, Miriam (SAndy) Tartar of Boise, Idaho and Carol Nelson of Miami, Fl.

He was a member of Grave Bible Fellowship Church, Harrisburg and a former member of Hope Community Church, Elizabethtown, PA and Castile Baptist Church, Castile, NY.

He retired in 1992 from Keshequa Central School, Nunda, NY where he taught high school vocal music for thirty-five years. As an active member of the Nunda community he served as a village trustee and mayor, a public library board member, a charter member of the volunteer ambulance corps and a voluteer fireman.

In addition to his community service, he served God in leadership positions at Castile Baptist Church, as board member of New Hope Adoption Agency, Syracuse, NY, and as board member and president of the SOWER ministry. Frank and Vaughn dedication a majority of their thirteen years of retirement to volunteer services at churches, missions, camps and children's homes throughout the United States as part of the SOWER ministry.

A memorial service will be held Saturday, July 9 at 2:00 PMM at Grace Bible Fellowship Church, 1250 Colonila Road, Harrisburg. Family will receive visitors at the church from 12:30 to 2:00. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the SOWERS Ministry, 14771CR 424, Lindale, TX 75771 or Hospice of Central Pennsylvania, PO Box 266, Enola, PA 17025.




return to top

 FitzGerald, Bridget (Nunda News September 12, 1899)

Mrs Bridget FitzGerald
, widow of the late Michael FitzGerald, died at the Hotel St. John in this village Tuesday evening, of bronchial pneumonia, ages 72 years. She was taken ill at her home on the Oakland road Tuesday evening, Set 5th, and the following morning was removed to the home of her daughter, Mrs. J.H. Hughes, at the Hotel St. John, where everything possible wad done for her. She was a kind hearted woman, always had a good word for everyone, and will be missed by a large circle of acquaintances. Deceased leaves to morn her loss one daughter, Mrs J.H. Hughes of this village, and two sons, WIlliam of Logansport, Ind.. and Martin, of Denver Colorado. The funeral was conducted by Rev. J.M. Day, from the Catholic church in this village, at ten o'clock this morning.

return to top

FitzGerald, Edward B. (died 1901)

 Killed By Colorado Snow Slide.
The sad news of the fatal accident to Mr. Edward B. FitzGerald, who was engaged in railroading in Colorado, was received here last Friday. Two big passenger locomotives were struck by a huge snow slide near Boulder, Col., April l8th, lifted bodily from the rails and carried down a precipitous gorge. With them went the snow plow and they found lodgement on the switch of the Big Five tunnel, 100 feet down the hill, where an avalanche of snow and rock cov-ered the engines and four of the crew, killing engineers Hannon and Fitzgerald and fireman Miller and conductor Blair. The passenger train left Ward for Boulder drawn by two engines and when the train reached Bloomerville the engines were uncoupled and started up the hill to buck the snow from the track, meeting with the terrible disaster described above.

Edward Burke Fitzgerald was the eldest son of Mr. And Mrs Michael Fitzgerald of this village and was brought up in Nunda. He went west only eight months ago to accept a position on the Colorado & North Western R. R., of which his uncle, Martin FitzGerald, is master mechanic. Edward held a position at Craig Colony three years before going west where he was much thought of and had a host of friends. It is evident he was advancing rapidly as in the short time he had been there he was running an engine. The deceased, who was 23 years and 8 months old, was known by his acquaintance in this section as an industrious young man of sterling character and his dad and untimely death is a sore affliction to his family and friends. He is survived by his father and mother, one sister, Miss Elizabeth, of New York , and one brother Harry, who returned to Nunda from Lestershire, Monday.

The remains arrived here Wednesday morning, and the funeral was held from the Catholic church Thursday morning at 11 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Father James H. Day. The services at the church were largely attended, and a number of friends from Craig Colony were present. Miss Marion Gale Peck sang a solo at the church, and a male quartet composed of Messrs. J. Lovell, H. Willard, O .J. Willard and W.M. Wagor sang at the burial service in Oakwood cemetery. The bearers were Dan'l O'Connell, F.J. McCarthy, A.J. Paine, J Craig Robers, Dr. J.D. Nelson and W.B. Sanders.

See image of Edward FitzGerald

from undated and unidentified newspaper clipping from Alena Farmer's scrapbook. Gravestone in Oakwood Cemetery give his birth and death dates as 1877-1901

return to top


 Ford, Katherine (Nunda News March 30, 1901)

Mrs Katherine Ford.
Wednesday occured the death of Mrs. Katherine Ford at the home of her daughter, Mrs Amanda Clute, on Portage Street, where she resided. Deceased was 90 years old and had resided here for 12 years. Three daughters survive. The funeral was held at the house Thursday at 3 PM."


return to top

Henry, Thomas J (Nunda News September 28, 1918)

Thomas Henry Died Monday

“Thomas Henry, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm Henry, who enlisted in the Navy and was at the Great Lakes Training Station near Chicago died Monday at the camp hospital, and a telegram that night was sent to his parents. He was 28 years old and has a wife and one child. He was insured for $10,000. His remains are expected here for burial. He is the second Nunda boy who has given his life in the service of his country. The remains reach here this morning and will be taken to the family home. Funeral services will be held at the Presbyterian Church at 2:30 Sunday and burial will be made in Oakwood. Arrangements are complete for making it a full military funeral. Besides his parents, wife and son, Henry leaves several brothers and sisters. Henry was a mechanic popular with all who knew him, and his untimely death is deplored by all."


(Note: The article on the right is from the Nunda News, Oct 5, 1918. Henry is buried in Section OC1 of Oakwood Cemetery. For a photograph of his grave go to the cemetery's website. )


return to top

 Jackson, Mary Weidwright (Nunda Truth September, 1904)

"Death at Dalton of Mrs. L Jackson. Her Father Served 7 Years Under Napoleon and was at Burning of Moscow. Buried Here.
(Special to the Truth) Dalton, Sept. 23.­ Mary, wife of Leonard Jackson of this place, is dead having passed to her eternal resting place last Saturday. Had she lived until the twentieth of next month, she would have been 79 years of age.

Deceased was born in Johnstown, N.Y. near Albany and experienced religion when she was 12 years of age at which time she joined the German Evangelican Church in German Settlement. She had been a member of the Dalton Methodist Church for nearly 30 years and has been an invalid and great sufferer for many years.

Her parents came from Germany nearly 90 years ago. Her father, David Weidwright served seven years under Napoleon and was at the burning of Moscow.

A husband, two sons, three daughters and several grandchildren are the surviving relatives.

The funeral was held at this place Monday, her pastor, Rev. Wells officiating. The burial was in Oakwood cemetery, Nunda, in the family lot, four of her grandchildren acting as bearers."

return to top

Mitchell, Mina Annette Baker ( from the Chattanooga Times, Feb. 2, 1925, p3 col 1)

"Mrs. C.D. Mitchell Dies at Sanitarium. Mrs. Mina Baker Mitchell, aged 73, wife of Capt. C.D. Mitchell, formerly president of the Chattanooga Plow company, died at the Mountain City sanitarium Sunday afternoon after a long illness. Mrs. Mitchell was born in Mt. Morris,N.Y., Jan 27, 1852. She graduated in medicine at Michigan University in 1876 and practiced her profession in Racine, Wis., from 1878 until 1885. She came to Chattanooga in 1876 and practiced with great success until her marriage to Capt. Mitchell in 1890. Services are to be held at Chapman's funeral parlors at 3 o'clock this afternoon. Interment will be made at Nunda, N.Y."

submitted by NHH

return to top


Paine, Harriett Lowell (Nunda News March 25, 1905)

Death of Mrs. Delos Paine

A Resident of Nunda for Sixty-five years-Passed away March 17. Barkertown . March 22. Mrs. Harriett Lowell Paine died Friday March 16th at the home of the daughter Grace in Avon, aged 64 years. She was the youngest of four children born to Ebenezer and Hancy (sic) Bowen of Nunda. Married to Delos Paine Jan. 8, 1866, widowed of him Feb. 23, 1897. With the exception of two years which she lived in Michigan, she had spent her sixty-five years in the town of her nativity.

She was born of the spirit unto life eternal, in her girlhood and united with the Baptist congregation at Nunda, and transferred by letter to the Methodist Protestant Church of Barkertown March 7, 1897 and died in the faith. Mrs. Paine is survived by three children, W. L. Paine of Nunda; Mrs. Grace J Durkee of Avon; and Jay Paine, a child by adoption and a son to be proud of; two brothers Amenzo and Mercello Lowell of Dalton. She had been a patient sufferer for a number of years from rheumatism, but the immediate cause of death was from apoplexy.

The funeral was held from the home of Mary J. Goodamont of Nunda on Tuesday last, Rev. E. J. Fulton of Barkertown, officiating, assisted by Rev. Delos Abrams of the Baptist church of Nunda. Messrs. Jacob Veley, Ed Rathbun, Grank Grimes and George Smith were bearers of the remains which were interred in the family lot in Oakwood. A profusion of beautiful flowers were in evidence, mute reminders of loved ones who were acquainted with her love for the pure and beautiful.

Among those here to attend the funeral were Mrs. And Mrs Joseph Durkee and Mr. Jay Paine of Avon; Mr. and Mrs Nathan Paine of Castile; Mrs Arbie Town of Spencerport.

return to top

 Rickets, Samuel (Nunda News March 25, 1905)

Death of Samuel Rickets.

Samuel Rickets, who was born in England eighty-five years ago, died here at his home on the Oakland road last Thursday night. He moved her from the town of Granger about one year ago. The funeral was held at the house Saturday, Rev E.G. W. Hall, officiating and the burial was at Oakwood. Besides his daughter, Mr. W. H. Framingham of this village, the deceased is survived by three sons, George of Batavia, and Frank and Richard of Nunda.

return to top

Somers, William (Nunda News September 28,1918 )

William Somers Died at Newport

Death of Nunda’s First Boy in Present War-Enlisted in the Navy Last August- Died at Newport of Pneumonia Sept 21st.

“William Somers, aged 20 years, died at Newport last Saturday of pneumonia after a short illness. He enlisted in the Navy Aug 7, 1918, going from Hornell where he was employed in the Davis foundry. For a number of years he worked for the Foote Co. here, his father, the late Charles Somers being foreman of the Foote foundry for many years. The family resides here on Massachusetts street. Surviving him, besides his wife and mother, are three sisters, Marie, Mildred and Anna and one brother Charles, all of this village. “Billy” Somers was a good straight boy and popular as he was big hearted; his death at the Newport hospital, after so short a time in the service of his country, lends emphasis to the fact that not all of the boys who answer the call are to return home again. Somers, it is stated, carried a war risk among of $10,000, payable to his wife.

The remains reached Nunda Tuesday and were taken to the family home in Massachusetts street.

The funeral was held Thursday morning at 9:30 at Holy Angels’ church, Rev. Father Muckle officiating, assisted by Rev. Father Rivers of Portageville and Rev. Father Collons of Mt. Morris. The Boy Scouts, Co F of Sonyea, Nunda Band, Sons of Veterans, No 2 Fire Co., and a number of men from the Davis Foundry at Hornell escorted the remains from the house to the church which was crowded to the doors, many persons being compelled to stand outside the church. Following the service at the church the funeral procession moved to Oakwood cemetery where burial was made and three volleys were fired over the grave and taps sounded; while the casket was being lowered into the grave the band play the “Star Spangled Banner.” Relatives were here to attend the funeral from Buffalo . Olean and Silver Springs.

And thus this village paid its final tribute to the first Nunda boy to make the supreme sacrifice. Flags were display at half mast throughout the village.


(Note: Nunda's first casualty of World War I is buried in OC1 in Oakwood Cemetery. See "Oakwood Families and Folk" for a photograph his grave.)

return to top

 Sonnleitner, Elfreda Curtis (Transcribed by Louise Y Mills, 2003, from obituary collection of Lenora Mills, Wiscoy, NY)

HUNTS, N.Y. -- Mrs. Elfreda M. SONNLEITNER died Saturday, January 9, 1965, at the Cook Nursing Home in Lamont, New York. She was born February 18, 1881, in the Town of Granger, a daughter of Lewis and Clarissa ROWLEY CURTIS. She was the widow of John SONNLEITNER. Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Clifford WAGONER of Fillmore and Mrs. William MOTE of Gainesville and a son, Oliver SONNLEITNER of Hunts. Funeral services were held this afternoon at the Kopler Funeral Home in Fillmore with the Rev. J. Whitney SHEA, pastor of the Short Tract Methodist Church officiating. Burial was in the Short Tract Cemetery.

return to top

 Spencer, Huldah Maria Robinson (Nunda News 4/24/1880 p.2 col.3)

"Mrs. Huldah Robinson Spencer died in the town of Portage, Livingston county, N.Y. on the morning of April 5th, 1880, age 59, of typhoid pneumonia. Mrs. Spencer was the daughter of Richard and Charlotte Robinson, born in Portage Jan. 21st, 1821. Her father died many years ago. Her mother still survives her, aged 85; also brothers and sisters. She leaves an affectionate husband who mourns her death as none but a devoted husband can; an adopted son and other relatives were among the chief mourners. Mrs. Spencer was a favorite with every one, a cheerful, happy, consistent Christian. Her home was a happy home. She had been a faithful member of the Presbyterian church in Portageville for many years; the church miss and mourn her death; her class of little ones in the Sabbath school think there never was so good a teacher as Mrs. Spencer. But she has gone to make one of that number in that day when God shall gather up his jewels. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. R.H. Dexter, from the text, "Thy will be done," at her pleasant home in Penny Cook, the home she loved so well, and where she had lived many years. We laid her away in the silent grave in the pleasant cemetery in Penny Cook beside three lovely children who were waiting for her on the other shore; we were willing, though with tears, to say, "Thy will be done." "Though to-day we are filled with mourning, Mercy still is on the throne; With thy smiles of love returning, We can sing, "Thy will be done." R.H.Dexter

The remains of Huldah, Roderick and their children were moved from the Pennycook Cemetery to Oakwood at some point.

submitted by NHH

return to top

Spencer, Marian Emerson Died Nov. 6, 1932.

"Mrs. Spencer Died At Glens Falls Mrs. W.E. Spencer died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. D.L.Bellinger, in Glens Falls November 6th. Funeral from the Nunda Presbyterian church Thursday, Nov. 10, at 2 p.m. Rev. J.C.Glover officiating. Burial in Oakwood Cemetery. Marian Emerson was born at Bennington, near Attica on January 19, 1853, the youngest of eight children of John Webster and Abigail Page Emerson. Married at Attica on Nov. 13, 1877, to William E. Spencer of the town of Portage. They lived with his parents the following winter, taking up housekeeping in their own home April 9, 1878. Mr. Spencer died on the forty-ninth anniversary of this date. Marian Emerson, at the age of 17, united with the Presbyterian church at Portageville during a period when the family lived in the Genesee Valley. Survivors, besides her daughter and grandchildren, are one sister, Mrs. E.E.Vosburgh of Angelica, and several nieces and nephews."

submitted by NHH

return to top

Spencer, William (Willie) Eugene

First notice of his death was in the Nunda News Mar. 11, 1927. It calls him "one of Nunda's best known residents". A week later, Mar. 18, 1927 Nunda News "Death Removes Prominent Farmer", says his death "removes one of our older citizens who was widely known throughout Nunda and Portage, having been actively engaged in farming in the latter town for a great number of years. Mr. Spencer was born in the town of Nunda in 1851, but spent most of his life in the town of Portage continuing to visit his farms almost daily after moving to Nunda in 1896. In that year he and his wife united with the Nunda Presbyterian church by letter from the Portageville Presbyterian church. He served the Nunda church as trustee and treasurer and in 1912 was elected a Ruling Elder and continued in that office the remainder of his life. The near surviving relatives are his wife and daughter, Mrs. D.L.Bellinger of Mt. Morris, and two grandchildren. The funeral was held Saturday, Rev. J.C.Glover officitating and burial was made in Oakwood Cemetery. Four of Mrs. Spencer's nephews acted as bearers with the Board of Elders of his church as honorary bearers."

The memorial book from the funeral home has a place for "Friends", where his daughter Louise wrote in, "Without number."

submitted by NHH

return to top

Stilson, Lyman (Nunda News April 13, 1886)

Death of Lyman Stillson.

Rev. Lyman Stilson died in Jefferson, Iowa, March 23rd, aged 81 years.

The deceased was born in Meridith, Delaware county, New York, where his boyhood was spent. He was endowed with genius, and his youth was one of brilliance and rar promise. He had high ambition for the future, but he felt it his duty to give his life to foreign missions in the service of the American Baptist Missionary Union. After studying theology at Madison University, he was ordained, and sailed for Burma, East India, with his bridge, Lucretia Brownson, in 1837.

In Burma he was engaged in preaching, teaching, and with his gifted wife, in writing text-books which are now used both in mission and government schools in India. He had varied experiences on the Kemee Mountains, on the islands of the Indian Ocean, and by the Salwan River. He was once attacked by a band of robbers and barely escaped with his life, while bravely defending the mission treasury. Not very long after, his lovely wife passed away from earth and was buried in Maulmain, British Burma. Broken down in health, his form bent and his hair whitened with cares, he returned with his four little children, to the land he had left in his strong manhood.

He settled in Nunda, where he married Miss Almira Paine. Two years after her death he was married to Miss H. E. Wright, of Rochester.

Since his return to America he has been engaged in developing mathematical methods, and in education writings, some of them connected with the foreign mission. In 1871 he moved to Jefferson, Iowa. Here, a short time since, he lost his promising boys, Charlie and Parker, just on the threshold of man-hood; his son Miner having died in Nunda many years before. His wife and three children survive him, one in Jefferson, one on the Atlantic coast, one in far Montana.

But his long eventful career is closed. He was a silent man and lived much in thought, so modest of his own virtues that many might meet him and not understand his intellectual worth. His was a blameless character, an exemplary Christian life, and he was honored at his death. Trusting in Christ, he entered without fear the realm of the Infinite, and his passing away was peace.

(Note: Although his name is on the family stone in Oakwood Cemetery, Rev Lyman was buried in Jefferson Iowa. See "Oakwood Families and Folk" for a photograph of the family plot)

return to top



return to NHS Main Page

return to the History Room is the official website of the Nunda Historical Society.
You can address comments or questions to the Nunda Historical Society or
Tom Cook, webmaster

All rights reserved 2011