Nunda Historical Society |
|
|
The hamlets of the Keshequa Valley have long played an important role in Nunda's history. Over the years they have been social, religious, and economic centers that have helped the Town grow and prosper. They also encouraged friendly rivalry and competition which colored daily life in all the communities. Although many have faded over the years, their memories will always live on in the Keshequa Valley.
This page is divided by community. Each description or data as been documented as to the source. Please feel free to send any additional information you may have of these communities and check back often as we add information!
From: Frost, Marjorie C. "The History of Nunda From the Indian to the Airplane", Nunda News, September 17, 1948. |
"Dalton, in the southern part of Nunda, is a village of about 500 population which comprises the second election district of the township. Originally Nunda Station on the Erie Railroad, it became an important shipping point and grew while other hamlets in the area were losing out. The first settler was Maxim Smith, who owned nearly all of the land in the vicinity.
The first store was kept by Lyman Ayrault, who also was a produce
dealer, one of the largest in the section. The post office was
established in 1856 and the first postmaster was James Douglass.
The Parker House, built in 1873 by Sanford Parker, one of the
earliest settlers, was a well-known hostelry for many years.
The Methodist Church, built in 1858, is a large and substantial
building, and the society owns a parsonage as well. The church
had an original membership of 45, and H. Merithew was one of its
most active and influential members.
The place has several stores, a fine handsome central school which
is only about ten years old; a large seed business established
by W.D. Burt in the 90's; a gladiolus bulb business establish
by Gelser Bros., whose name is well known in horticultural circles;
a Masonic Lodge (Nunda Station Lodge) and an Eastern Star Chapter;
a mill - in fact, all the requirements for a village life independent
of the parent town. Its home are neat and tasteful, its citizens
progressive and public-spirited, and in general it is a community
that is a credit to the region. It has furnished numerous town
officials, including the present highway commissioner, Walter
Kelley."
From: Frost, Marjorie C. "The History of Nunda From the Indian to the Airplane", Nunda News, September 17, 1948. |
"Brooks Grove, in the town of Mount Morris, is closer to Nunda than to the village of Mount Morris, and is an early post village. Gen. Micah Brooks, who was born a subject of George III at Cheshire Conn., bought the major part of Mary Jemison's Gardeau Tract in conjunction with Jellis Clute and John B. Gibson in 1823. He selected for himself a portion of the land for a farm and residence, which was destroyed by fire in 1875. The large dwelling which replaced it was razed some 15 years ago, and all that remains of the former show place is the grove of tree which surrounded it.
A handful of dwellings-one of them the former district school and one an old tavern, both remodeled- and a Methodist church are all that is left of the hamlet today, the post office having been long since discontinued."
From: Frost, Marjorie C. "The History of Nunda From the Indian to the Airplane", Nunda News, September 17, 1948. |
"Oakland, formerly Messenger's Hollow...(is) in the town of Portage, but (was) part of Nunda township as it originally was laid out. Oakland, as may be presumed, was named for Russell Messenger who settled there in 1817 and built the first gristmill, a mill which was rebuilt and enlarged in 1832. Russell Messenger's son succeeded him in the mill and in the warehouse which was built after the opening of the canal.
Col. Williams, land agent for the Cottringer tract which included most of Portage township, lived on Oak Hill near the Deep Cut in a handsome brick house which was destroyed by fire only a few years ago. The post office was located at Col. William's place on Oak Hill, and the settlement went by the name of Messenger's Hollow until the post office was move there from his place, bearing with it the name Oakland.
Azel Fitch kept the first store in Oakland, and his son, John Fitch, was a carriage manufacturer. When the Genesee Valley canal was complete through Oakland, there were a tannery, a cloth-dressing establishment, several sawmills, a tavern and a store, besides the gristmill. The growth of Nunda Village and abandonment of the canal, however, detracted from the business of the place, and it ceased to be a manufacturing center."
From: Frost, Marjorie C. "The History of Nunda From the Indian to the Airplane", Nunda News, September 17, 1948. |
"Hunts Hollow, (is in the town of Portage, but was part of Nunda township as it originally was laid out) named for Sanford Hunt, Connecticut native who settled there with his wife and seven children in 1818, appeared in the minds of early settlers as the center of business for the region east of the Genesee. But the canal drew business from it to Oakland, and the Erie railroad robbed it of the remnants of business, which went to Nunda Station and Hunt's Hollow."