Historical Society Information
There has always been a strong interest in the history of the Nunda Area. In 1983 local residents organized the current Historical Society, stating as their mission:
"The Society is devoted exclusively to educating present and future generations concerning the cultural, economic, social, political and technical development of the area of western New York in and around the Town and Village of Nunda."
The new Society soon set forth the following objectives
1. To publish items related to the history of the Town of Nunda, such as the historical booklet "Early Times". This publication consists of articles from the Nunda News written by Marjorie Frost, Town and Village Historian.
2. To establish and maintain a collection of materials/objects needing preservation to carry out the mission of the Society. Emphasis is placed on discovering, collecting, preserving, interpreting and exhibiting these items.
3. To provide members and the general public with the opportunity to attend, at no cost, regular programs of historic interest.
4. To acquire and maintain a suitable building to serve as headquarters for the Society and a permanent home for the collection noted in item 2.
5. To work with other societies, civic groups, and individuals to identify, preserve and restore historic structures or properties in and around the Town and Village of Nunda.
6. To publish a Society Newsletter for distribution to the membership.
Over the last twenty years the Society has, through the efforts of its Officers, Committees, and membership, made great strides in meeting these objectives. Most notably is their acquisition and development of the Society's Museum Building on Portage Road. This facility houses the growing collection of historical items and information, holds Society workrooms and offices, and hosts Society meetings and presentation.
For more information on the Society, please see the link below or talk to anyone of the current officers!
Read the the Society's Constitution and Bylaws
See our latest issue of "Historic Nunda"
See the Nunda Historical Society's Strategic Plan! (PDF)
View the Nunda Historical Society's Strategic Implementation Plan for 2011-2015 (PDF)
(Please note - use the above link to view our Implementation Plan, not the link at the end of the Strategic Plan Document.)
Current Officers & Directors
Nunda NY 14517
2050C Paine Road
Dalton, NY 14836-9750
8405 Short Tract Road
Nunda, NY 14517
Membership Information and Form
The Nunda Historical Society has begun its Membership & Annual Fund Drive for the current year. You can support the Society in their many activities and help preserve, present, and promote the history of the Nunda Area by becoming a member or renewing your membership.
Membership is open to all at the following levels:
Youth $5; Individual $10; Supporting
$25, Contributing $50;
Family (includes husband wife & children at home) $15; Sponsor (organizations and businesses) $100.
You can also made Memorial Contributions in an individual's names.
The NHS is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 charitable organization. Your membership/gift is fully tax deductable.
Please Note: You can now pay for a new membership or renew using Paypal! Just use the button below. Be sure to send a followup email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your membership.
We need interested people to take an active role in the Society. If you would like to serve in some way or if you have suggestions for programs, please contact Joan Schumaker. Tel 585-476-2354 email: email@example.com.